Jaisalmer is a city nicknamed as golden city, located in the state of Rajasthan. It is the closest city along the borders of Pakistan in the western frontier of India. And a few miles from the great Thar desert. Visit to Jaisalmer introduces you to its rich heritage buildings and culture. Jaisalmer tour is lovely opportunity to explore rustic ethnicity. When the sun rays fall on stone structures complete city looks golden. The stones that have been used in construction brought the name of the city too. There are lots of attracting places in and around the city. You must not miss a single one of them, since they are having some beauty that looks like the celestials. The desert state has few lakes too and Jaisalmer tour provides opportunity to visit one of them within city.
1. Jaisalmer weather
The heritage city is a blissful destination. Jaisalmer remains too hot in summer and too cold in winter. The best time to visit Jaisalmer is October to March.
2. Another traditional city nearby
People often stay at Jaisalmer and visit the desert of Thar at Bikaner. Since there is a weather issue at the rare spot, they love to visit the famous and rare spot, by staying at Jaisalmer. From Jaisalmer it is not very far, and a day’s matter. Tourists book a cab, get to the desert, enjoy the ride on the camel back and return to the hotel rooms.
3. Exterior of the city
Mirvana Nature Resort and Camp having tented camps attached to a desert having a nice swimming pool. It takes one hour to reach on the way to Jodhpur. One can enjoy the Meals with Rajasthani folk dance and music. Moonlight Khuri Resort- located at a distance of 40 km from Jaisalmer at Khuri village, surrounded by natural sand dunes. One can stay in mud cottages, Huts and Tents with Camp- Fire, Dinner, Music & Folk Dance & Camel Ride.
4. Refreshing destinations
Khuri – This is the place where the travellers make crowd to enjoy the camel ride. This place is known for camel rides and one can easily access sand dunes. In Fact the name of the land is meant for that in the local tongue.
Bada Bagh- A peaceful place Located at a distance of about six km out of town. It is an isolated cenotaph garden at the bottom of a hill. Only empty tombs are found. A small fee is required to enter. The beautiful chattris inside the garden are quite interesting. Sound of the screaming peacocks can be heard here. Planning is required as there are no facilities for toilets, eateries and shops.
5. Shopping Handmade
Rural crafts are much in demand. So while on Jaisalmer trip one must shop for handmade potlis, patch work bags and cushion covers as souvenirs for dear ones. Creativity in village women comes out in their embroidery. Rajasthani mirror work crafts, rugs and blankets must be bought from local market. Buy antiques or old stonework from Government approved shops only.
If you want to buy something traditional and expensive purchase a timeless jewelry piece. On your visit to Bikaner you may find kundan jewelry which is very famous art of Bikaner. The city also has famous camel skin crafts.
6. Things to do:
- Camel safaris must not be missed by any chance on tour to Jaisalmer. This is the experience that you will get, that you will get in only one part of the nation. Hence do not miss the chance.
- Camping in nearby deserts is a great program with adventure.
- Bike cruising
- Study culture and traditions of Rajasthan.
- Watch puppet show
- Jaisalmer tour gives opportunity to explore wildlife.
7. How to reach
- Flight service: There is no flight service to Jaisalmer. However you can get either to Jaipur or Jodhpur and get a cab from there. Train service, with royal arrangement is also available to the golden city from the capital of Rajasthan.
- Train service:
• Delhi-Jaisalmer Express
• Corbett Park Link Express from Ramnagar in Uttarakhand to Jaisalmer
• Daytime slow train and a night express train having 3AC, unreserved and reserved compartments operating between Jaisalmer and Jodhpur.
• The luxury train ‘Palace on Wheels’ stops at Jaisalmer every Sunday
- Bus service:
There is daily bus service from Jaipur provided by Rajasthan State Road Transport Corporation (RSRTC). Other buses are available from Bikaner.
- Local Transport:
Autos, Tongas and buses are available for moving within city.
8. Tourist Attraction(Interior of Jaisalmer)
- Gadisar Lake:A Rainwater Lake surrounded by temples and tombs of saints. There is provision for boat rides. There is a desert culture centre a small museum nearby.
- Jaisalmer Fort:This is the fort that has been famous for the Oscar winning Mr. Ray, who has made a movie based on that.
- Jain Temple: There are seven temples built inside the fort, built in the 12th century to 15th century. All the temples are connected by walkways and corridors.
- Patwon-ki-Haveli: the architectural wonder located at a ten-minute walking distance from the main gates of the fort and it is a collection of five houses.
9. Subtle nightlife & Hotels
Jaisalmer has not noisy nightlife like metro cities. It is not dull though. Vibrancy of traditional dances, folk music, illuminated fort, desert light show, bars and discotheques keeps city live.
Place to stay is primary concern of the tourist. Jaisalmer has many options to stay. Maharajatrails.com plans your travel and hotel stay as well as guide about Jaisalmer attractions, Jaisalmer travel destinations, how to reach Jaisalmer etc.
- Hotel Jaisalmer Palace near Gadisagar Gate at Dibha Pada
- Jaisalmer Desert Camp
- Mandir Palace at Gandhi Chowk
- Mystic Jaisalmer near air force circle
- Shanti Residency located in Transport Nagar
- Star View Guest Hous near Madarsa Road at Dhibba Para
- Suryagarh Jaisalmer at Kahala Phata in Sam Road
STD CODE- 03010
Tourist Help Desk
|Tourist Reception Center, Fateh Memorial, Surajpole||2411535, 1364||Foreigner Registration||2410202|
|Police Control Room||2252233, Toll free: 100||Fire||Toll free: 101|
|Ambulance||Toll free: 102||Roadways (RSRTC)||Enquiry: 251541|
|Railway||Enquiry: 252354||Karnataka Red Cross||2264205, 2268435|
|Jaisalmer Medical Service||5287903||Victoria||6701150|
|Lady Curzon||5591362||St. John’s||5530724-34|
|Sindhi Charitable||2237318/ 7117||Yellamma Dasappa||2225643|
|Institute Of Naturopathy & Yoga Sciences||8396337, 6338, 4926/27||Bhagwan Mahavir Jain Hospital||2260944, 2281258, 2254641|
|Jaisalmer Institute Of Oncology||2222267, 2225644, 2225698||Kidwai Memorial Inst. Of Oncology||6632302-08|
Women & Children In Trouble
|Ambika Mahila Sangha||2256242 Extn 398|